K, here it is--we, my salon and I, are debating as to whether or not we should go with the Brazilian Blowout smoothing system or Keratin Complex. I have spoken with both company's reps and would value the opinions of my peers, where ever your loyalties may lie. Give me the 411.

Views: 2798

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use the keratin complex! It's amazing! I would stay away from the Brazilian blowout!
Have you thought about Pravana Perfection?
I love keratherapy's Renewal Systems. After working as an educator for different keratin company's for years, I honestly personally love working with keratherapy products. I find that the products have significantly less fumes than any othe brand, and trust me I have tested a lot.
I also like the fact that that they are honest with the chemicals contained in all of the products. If you do want a 100% fomaldehyde free treatment, keratherapy offers 2 that each have amazing curl reduction.
If you are currently useing Brazillian blowout try - Keratherapy Extreme renewal:
This treatment will give you the same results your client is looking for in Brazillian blowout, however you will notice a huge difference in fumes. Also the price point is great!

If you want something 100% formaldehyde free try- Express Renewal

If you want an Express Keratin Treatment that can also lock in hair color try- Color lock and Smooth:
It lasts 4 weeks and only takes 20 Minuets to do in the salon.

Check out more information on their website www.keratherapy.com and let me know what you think! :)

My salon uses Kera-Straight and I looove it. I love that the client doesnt have to come back 24-48 later to have me rewash and style. We style however the client wants to wear it that same day. They dont have to avoid getting it wet and they can even pull it back in a ponytail without fear. I also like that the client can use any sulfate free products. This product is formaldihyde free as well. It comes in a few different strengths and the smell isnt too strong.

I just have to reply to this thread.. I hear stylists that are using these so called Formaldehyde free products and I get furious, because I'm not sure if its their nievity or stupidity on the harmful properties of these straighteners. Any of these products that have less than the recommended formaldehyde content ( which is .02% ) does not work, therefore any of these that might claim to have no formaldehyde or less than the required are either hiding the content or they are just saaying that to get you to use it.

This is all research that is very easy to google and stylists should be very weary and not mislead. The sad thing about it is that everyone is trying to make a buck while its the hottest thing out there, but right now there are class action suits and people getting very sick from the repercussions from this terrible product

.We need to quit using harmful products in the salons that are detremental to us and our clients and think of better ways to make money than to put everyone in harms way, including stylists & clients who have nothing to do with the treatments, but are subjected to it.

I am not going to mention Company names, but alot of you are being mislead or you are oblivious to the dangers.

Thanks for letting me share!

 
Chris sigler said:

Our salon using keratin complex for a while now results are consistent and the clients are faithful to it and only complaints is like with any smoothing systems " three days" they have to wait to pull hair up or clip back!

Christine you are correct for some of the companies but not all. I always do my research and that is exactly how I came to use GK. Many companies mislead by saying their product does not contain formaldehyde, which technically is true. Formaldehyde is a natural occuring gas in many things, an apple has formaldehyde, the furniture you are probably sitting on emits formaldehyde, when you cook broccoli it does also... in the smoothing treatments that have methelyne glycol, when it is heated with the flat iron the heat plus methelyne glycol creates the formaldehyde, now lets say the treatment has .02 % methelyne that does not mean it is making a .02% formaldehyde, (that is where OSHA was mistaken in their original testings) the formaldehyde is lower than the % of methlyne. That being said, Does GK have methylene glycol and emit formaldehyde? yes, but they are well under the amount that Osha has set as being unsafe. GK does testings at the corporate office quite often, and when they do, they test the air an hour before, during, and an hour after the treatment. They do before because formaldehyde is a natural gas given off by many things... That being said again, GK has another treatment called the best. It does not use ANY harsh chemicals at all, it does not give off formaldehyde at all at any point of the treatment and you get the same results but instead of 3-5 months it lasts more like 3-4 depending on the client and their daily hair routine. The Best uses glycolic acid to reduce the stiffness of the elastic modulus, this causes the hair to lose its natural curl and feel softer. 

 

 I do aplaud you Christine for telling hairstylists to do their research not enough do and are going to pay the price for it, one way or the other, but don't let some companies ruin it for everyone just because they are not playing by the rules. (I will name names lol) When Coppala came out with their advertisements saying they were the first company certified by OSHA I called OSHA I spoke with 3 different branches, the last one in Florida where they claimed it happened, every single person that I spoke with said they niether recommend nor do they endorse ANY company. Basically they were fined several times, so when they were tested again and finally passed they claim that as being certified and compliant with OSHA, but GK has been compliant with OSHA from day one. Their products come out first in Europe because Europe has the highest standards for all things chemical. 

 

If you would like some really great, really true chemical explanations that you can print out to keep at the salon on the truths about methlyne glycol and formaldehyde in products I urge you to look up DOUG SCHOON, he is a chemical scientist in the cosmetic field in California, he has great credentials, he is also on facebook and will answer your questions. He is not affiliated with any brand but has done a great deal of research on the smoothing treatments and alot on nails, uv lights for drying, acrylics etc.
 
Christine Frank said:

I just have to reply to this thread.. I hear stylists that are using these so called Formaldehyde free products and I get furious, because I'm not sure if its their nievity or stupidity on the harmful properties of these straighteners. Any of these products that have less than the recommended formaldehyde content ( which is .02% ) does not work, therefore any of these that might claim to have no formaldehyde or less than the required are either hiding the content or they are just saaying that to get you to use it.

This is all research that is very easy to google and stylists should be very weary and not mislead. The sad thing about it is that everyone is trying to make a buck while its the hottest thing out there, but right now there are class action suits and people getting very sick from the repercussions from this terrible product

.We need to quit using harmful products in the salons that are detremental to us and our clients and think of better ways to make money than to put everyone in harms way, including stylists & clients who have nothing to do with the treatments, but are subjected to it.

I am not going to mention Company names, but alot of you are being mislead or you are oblivious to the dangers.

Thanks for letting me share!

 
Chris sigler said:

Our salon using keratin complex for a while now results are consistent and the clients are faithful to it and only complaints is like with any smoothing systems " three days" they have to wait to pull hair up or clip back!
Hi Andrea,
Thank you for your input, and I was not mentioning any companies, but the GK that you speak of is one of the companies, according to EWG report in 2011 that was hiding formaldehyde content and tested overall at 4.4percent which is more than OSHA recommends<. now, since that study was done there could have been changes, but that was the study I read about. i am not trying to disrespect any companies, but I would like for stylists and consumers to be more educated in this matter and not to just take the word of the reps or coworkers. i feel that there will be more sick people and lawsuits in the future because we are not listening to the data or research out there enough, and are just trying to make a quick buck! the information is out there and I just think that you can either protect yourself or join in. thats my take on it.

Andrea Day said:

Christine you are correct for some of the companies but not all. I always do my research and that is exactly how I came to use GK. Many companies mislead by saying their product does not contain formaldehyde, which technically is true. Formaldehyde is a natural occuring gas in many things, an apple has formaldehyde, the furniture you are probably sitting on emits formaldehyde, when you cook broccoli it does also... in the smoothing treatments that have methelyne glycol, when it is heated with the flat iron the heat plus methelyne glycol creates the formaldehyde, now lets say the treatment has .02 % methelyne that does not mean it is making a .02% formaldehyde, (that is where OSHA was mistaken in their original testings) the formaldehyde is lower than the % of methlyne. That being said, Does GK have methylene glycol and emit formaldehyde? yes, but they are well under the amount that Osha has set as being unsafe. GK does testings at the corporate office quite often, and when they do, they test the air an hour before, during, and an hour after the treatment. They do before because formaldehyde is a natural gas given off by many things... That being said again, GK has another treatment called the best. It does not use ANY harsh chemicals at all, it does not give off formaldehyde at all at any point of the treatment and you get the same results but instead of 3-5 months it lasts more like 3-4 depending on the client and their daily hair routine. The Best uses glycolic acid to reduce the stiffness of the elastic modulus, this causes the hair to lose its natural curl and feel softer. 

 

 I do aplaud you Christine for telling hairstylists to do their research not enough do and are going to pay the price for it, one way or the other, but don't let some companies ruin it for everyone just because they are not playing by the rules. (I will name names lol) When Coppala came out with their advertisements saying they were the first company certified by OSHA I called OSHA I spoke with 3 different branches, the last one in Florida where they claimed it happened, every single person that I spoke with said they niether recommend nor do they endorse ANY company. Basically they were fined several times, so when they were tested again and finally passed they claim that as being certified and compliant with OSHA, but GK has been compliant with OSHA from day one. Their products come out first in Europe because Europe has the highest standards for all things chemical. 

 

If you would like some really great, really true chemical explanations that you can print out to keep at the salon on the truths about methlyne glycol and formaldehyde in products I urge you to look up DOUG SCHOON, he is a chemical scientist in the cosmetic field in California, he has great credentials, he is also on facebook and will answer your questions. He is not affiliated with any brand but has done a great deal of research on the smoothing treatments and alot on nails, uv lights for drying, acrylics etc.
 
Christine Frank said:

I just have to reply to this thread.. I hear stylists that are using these so called Formaldehyde free products and I get furious, because I'm not sure if its their nievity or stupidity on the harmful properties of these straighteners. Any of these products that have less than the recommended formaldehyde content ( which is .02% ) does not work, therefore any of these that might claim to have no formaldehyde or less than the required are either hiding the content or they are just saaying that to get you to use it.

This is all research that is very easy to google and stylists should be very weary and not mislead. The sad thing about it is that everyone is trying to make a buck while its the hottest thing out there, but right now there are class action suits and people getting very sick from the repercussions from this terrible product

.We need to quit using harmful products in the salons that are detremental to us and our clients and think of better ways to make money than to put everyone in harms way, including stylists & clients who have nothing to do with the treatments, but are subjected to it.

I am not going to mention Company names, but alot of you are being mislead or you are oblivious to the dangers.

Thanks for letting me share!

 
Chris sigler said:

Our salon using keratin complex for a while now results are consistent and the clients are faithful to it and only complaints is like with any smoothing systems " three days" they have to wait to pull hair up or clip back!

I use Coppola and have had no problems! Smells nice too


Sorry I have not been on here in a while, I did some research on the EWG report you spoke of. For one I was checking references to the statements they made and could not find any current references. The 4.4 was from the original OSHA report that found to be incorrect in the way they originally tested it. When OSHA retested actually in salons, with professional stylists perfoming the treatments were at or under the allowed amount. You can find that info if you read the whole report to the very end. I also spoke with the director of education for the company and was told they have never lied or mislead any information ever. They have been compliant with OSHA from the beginning, never been found guilty of anything nor fined for anything. One of the main offices is even in Ireland, that is a country on that report that said it was removed from, GKhair is all over Europe and they have the strictest guidelines than any other country. You can also find really good facts on Doug Schoons website, he is a scientist that has been in the beauty and cosmetic industry, he is very good at explaining how the first findings on this subject were not done correctly. GKhair also has a treatment that has no harsh chemicals at all, it uses glycolic acid, and less glycolic acid than in most face creams. It is rinsed and shampooed from the hair before drying and flat ironing too so there is absolutely no fumes what so ever.
Christine Frank said:

Hi Andrea,
Thank you for your input, and I was not mentioning any companies, but the GK that you speak of is one of the companies, according to EWG report in 2011 that was hiding formaldehyde content and tested overall at 4.4percent which is more than OSHA recommends<. now, since that study was done there could have been changes, but that was the study I read about. i am not trying to disrespect any companies, but I would like for stylists and consumers to be more educated in this matter and not to just take the word of the reps or coworkers. i feel that there will be more sick people and lawsuits in the future because we are not listening to the data or research out there enough, and are just trying to make a quick buck! the information is out there and I just think that you can either protect yourself or join in. thats my take on it.

Andrea Day said:

Christine you are correct for some of the companies but not all. I always do my research and that is exactly how I came to use GK. Many companies mislead by saying their product does not contain formaldehyde, which technically is true. Formaldehyde is a natural occuring gas in many things, an apple has formaldehyde, the furniture you are probably sitting on emits formaldehyde, when you cook broccoli it does also... in the smoothing treatments that have methelyne glycol, when it is heated with the flat iron the heat plus methelyne glycol creates the formaldehyde, now lets say the treatment has .02 % methelyne that does not mean it is making a .02% formaldehyde, (that is where OSHA was mistaken in their original testings) the formaldehyde is lower than the % of methlyne. That being said, Does GK have methylene glycol and emit formaldehyde? yes, but they are well under the amount that Osha has set as being unsafe. GK does testings at the corporate office quite often, and when they do, they test the air an hour before, during, and an hour after the treatment. They do before because formaldehyde is a natural gas given off by many things... That being said again, GK has another treatment called the best. It does not use ANY harsh chemicals at all, it does not give off formaldehyde at all at any point of the treatment and you get the same results but instead of 3-5 months it lasts more like 3-4 depending on the client and their daily hair routine. The Best uses glycolic acid to reduce the stiffness of the elastic modulus, this causes the hair to lose its natural curl and feel softer. 

 

 I do aplaud you Christine for telling hairstylists to do their research not enough do and are going to pay the price for it, one way or the other, but don't let some companies ruin it for everyone just because they are not playing by the rules. (I will name names lol) When Coppala came out with their advertisements saying they were the first company certified by OSHA I called OSHA I spoke with 3 different branches, the last one in Florida where they claimed it happened, every single person that I spoke with said they niether recommend nor do they endorse ANY company. Basically they were fined several times, so when they were tested again and finally passed they claim that as being certified and compliant with OSHA, but GK has been compliant with OSHA from day one. Their products come out first in Europe because Europe has the highest standards for all things chemical. 

 

If you would like some really great, really true chemical explanations that you can print out to keep at the salon on the truths about methlyne glycol and formaldehyde in products I urge you to look up DOUG SCHOON, he is a chemical scientist in the cosmetic field in California, he has great credentials, he is also on facebook and will answer your questions. He is not affiliated with any brand but has done a great deal of research on the smoothing treatments and alot on nails, uv lights for drying, acrylics etc.
 
Christine Frank said:

I just have to reply to this thread.. I hear stylists that are using these so called Formaldehyde free products and I get furious, because I'm not sure if its their nievity or stupidity on the harmful properties of these straighteners. Any of these products that have less than the recommended formaldehyde content ( which is .02% ) does not work, therefore any of these that might claim to have no formaldehyde or less than the required are either hiding the content or they are just saaying that to get you to use it.

This is all research that is very easy to google and stylists should be very weary and not mislead. The sad thing about it is that everyone is trying to make a buck while its the hottest thing out there, but right now there are class action suits and people getting very sick from the repercussions from this terrible product

.We need to quit using harmful products in the salons that are detremental to us and our clients and think of better ways to make money than to put everyone in harms way, including stylists & clients who have nothing to do with the treatments, but are subjected to it.

I am not going to mention Company names, but alot of you are being mislead or you are oblivious to the dangers.

Thanks for letting me share!

 
Chris sigler said:

Our salon using keratin complex for a while now results are consistent and the clients are faithful to it and only complaints is like with any smoothing systems " three days" they have to wait to pull hair up or clip back!

I agree with Andrea!

Andrea Day said:

have use both Brazilian Blow out and Coppola, I would reccomend neither, what I have found by doing extensive research is GKhair taming system. There system is very versatile, curl girls who love their curls but hate frizz can still have their curls, and those with the curliest hair who hate their curls can get rid of up to 80% leaving it very manageable and allowing them to straighten it completely on their own. It is the best system out there with the best keratin that is the closest match to human hair, allowing it to penetrate deeper and last longer

Well all I can say to everyone out there who are using products with any amount of formaldehyde when there are now new technologies which do just about the same thing and contain no derivatives or formaldehyde and straighten, defrizz and maintain the healthy shine , then you're subjecting yourself to harmful chemicals. Don't kid yourselves just to make a buck

I have been thinking about upgrading and starting this service myself. What is the average cost per client for this service & where do I get the products from in Texas?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Cut Blow-dry Time In Half!

FOLLOW US on Instagram @behindthechair_com! Hashtag #behindthechair and see your pics below!

behindthechair_com

Gorgeous peachy pink bob from @chrisweberhair #behindthechair #colormelt #pinkhair #lorealprofessionnel #joico #joicointensitiy #btcchrisweberhair

behindthechair_com

TODAY! BTC Facebook LIVE! 2:30pm Eastern | Featuring @hairtalkusa's @liciebaby for a HOW-TO: Color Melt With Extensions! See you all on our Facebook! #behinthechair #colormelt #hairtalk #hairtalkusa #extensions

behindthechair_com

Cabernet 🍷 by @makeupbyfrances #behindthechair #balayage #colormelt #redhair #fallred #wella #wellahair #btcmakeupbyfrances #plumhair

behindthechair_com

Such beautiful dimension!! By @megahairmaniac from @salt.hair! Sooooo pretty! #behindthechair #balayage #dimensionalbalayage

© 2017   Created by behindthechair.com   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service