The chignon is very easy to master, easier than it may look. The cool thing about them is you can place them anywhere you want on the head – remember to maintain balance. The profile will make the viewer stop and wonder how you created it!
First, it’s all about the ponytail. If you have not mastered the pony, watch this video first. The hair needs to be slick to the head and pony needs to be smooth as silk!
Redken Pillow Proof Dry Two Day Extender& Oil Absorbing Dry Shampoo
Redken Fashion Work 12 versatile hairspray
Once you have your ponytail secured we can begin:
Spray Redken Pillow Proof Dry Shampoo to the ponytail on both sides to give the pony substance
Brush through both sides of the pony with the Styling Brush – top and underneath
Place a hair friendly elastic to mid shaft of the ponytail, twist and bring the bottom half through
HOT TIP – Be sure not to twist the hair or you will loose the tension and the hair will buckle above the elastic
Place a grip into the elastic (you just placed at the mid shaft) pointing upward
Place the side of your hand onto the upper portion of the ponytail, fold the hair over your hand to see where you want the chignon to sit
HOT TIP – Sam is placing his chignons vertically
One you have the chignon in place slide a grip in to secure it in the area you want it to sit on the head
Bring the remainder of the ponytail back around and secure it with another grip
Spread the chignon out to get it to your liking and be sure to diminish any separations – you want the hair to be very smooth
Secure the top of the chignon with another grip pointing downward inside the roll
Spray the chignon with Redken Fashion Work 12 versatile spray – be sure to spray in the direction the hair is moving
At this point you have many options to work the remainder of the ponytail into your style. Get creative but keep it simple. The beauty of this look is the simplicity as well as the mystery of how it was created.
Show us your chignon hairstyles on Instagram. Tag your photos with #samvilla for a chance to be featured!
If you have any questions or comments be sure to leave them in the box below.
* JUST ANNOUNCED!!! WEBINAR: W/ @alix_maya!!!! Dimensional Pastel and Vibrant Color Techniques 👉 CLICK LINK IN BIO 👈 to SIGN UP /// Monday, June 12th: 7pm Eastern Time, 6pm Central/// SO EXCITED to join Alix Maya, founder of The Unicorn Tribe and Global Artistic Director of Manic Panic as she shares her signature rainbow techniques in two shade variations: pastel and vibrant.
* The Supernumerary technique/// adds additional bands of color beyond the traditional rainbow, inspired by a natural phenomenon that can’t be explained.
You will learn:
– Alix’s signature sectioning technique
– proper application of color
– the truth about color overlays on multi-tonal hair
– the benefits of creating rainbow colors using a natural foundation
– how to use different classic techniques with Alix’s signature sectioning technique to create organic rainbow color effects
* Twinned Rainbow/// is a technique inspired by one of nature’s most rare and beautiful displays of color.
You will learn:
– how to melt colors by direct application
– creative advice on using faded colors to your advantage without lifting prior to color application
– tips on how to “Stay in The Creative” in order to create the new, not the now #behindthechair #haireducation #manicpanic #unicorntribe #mermaidhair 👉 CLICK LINK IN BIO 👈 to SIGN UP!!!